Professions of the Future. What Should You Study to Be Successful Tomorrow?
“The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.”
― Eleanor Roosevelt
The world doesn’t stand in one place and is moving faster every year. The development of technological capabilities, the change of means of production, the evolution of public views and the concern around environmental issues act as a catalyst for global processes that are changing the fate of people here and now.
Our century is now called the era of the Fourth Industrial Revolution. The map of human demographic characteristics is changing, including the requirements for employment. For example, during the industrial revolution, such professions as a blacksmith or a carpenter inevitably sunk into oblivion, giving way to more powerful production machines. Therefore every young person who claims to have an excellent career takes into account the current situation when choosing her/his profession. Otherwise, if you’re too shortsighted, there are all risks to acquire a diploma and skills that will become low-paid and unnecessary.
If you, dear reader, are one of these people who dreams about a bright future, we are glad that you are reading our writing. In this article Aplic will list the promising professions of the future that are worth studying abroad. These specialties will surely provide you with a roof over your head, and a more well-fed stomach. 🙂
Yes, no matter how much we are told about the indispensability of traditional energy sources, in this regard, the future has already come, conventional forms of energy are yielding to alternative. But why do we have to change something? It’s quite simple: carbon and methane emissions have made the transition from sources of fossil fuels such as oil, coal and natural gas simply necessary.
Otherwise, climate change threatens to cause irreparable damage to the whole world. This is the main reason why the search for clean energy sources has become one of the main concerns of mankind. The severity of the problem is also indicated by the choice of Time magazine, which selected Swedish eco-activist Greta Thunberg as the person of the year 2019. Discussions of this problem don’t subside for a second. Make a conclusion yourself, dear ladies and gentlemen. 🌿
Within this area, specialists in solar energy and wind energy are becoming the most demanded professions. Solar energy and wind energy are getting more accessible, and there are no doubts about the benefits of it for the planet. This industry has grown quite a lot in the last years and it’s likely will be a big part of the future. So, it means that the installation, maintenance, and repair of special devices, such as solar panels and giant wind turbines will require more qualified specialists.
Where to study? Apply with Aplic!:
1. Australian National University (Australia)
2. De Montfort University (UK)
3. Monash University Malaysia (Malaysia)
4. Edinburgh Napier University (UK)
5. National University of Ireland (NUI Galway) (Ireland)
6. Murdoch University (Australia)
7. The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shenzhen (China)
8. West Virginia University (USA)
9. Robert Gordon University (UK)
10. Heriot-Watt University (UK)
In the previous part of this article, we talked about the harm that human activities cause to the environment, this is a nasty fact. But there are many positive achievements of man over the past decades. One of them is the increase in global life expectancy. And because of this, there is a rising demand for health professionals, because aging and long-lived population means a serious influx of patients. 😷
And after all, when we talk about healthcare, we don’t only mean conventional medical doctors. Many remote regions, especially of large countries, may have a sharp need for healthcare specialists. So it requires more mobile medical workers who can diagnose and treat patients with various acute and chronic diseases.
Nurses with the right degree can help fill this gap. In 2018 the average annual salary of nurse practitioners in the US was $107,030.
In addition to nurses, there’s an everlasting demand for other health workers such as rehabilitation physicians, physiotherapists, and pharmacists.
Where to study?
1. Anglia Ruskin University (UK)
2. Ara Institute of Canterbury (New Zealand)
3. Australian Catholic University (Australia)
4. Auckland University of Technology (New Zealand)
5. Management Development Institute of Singapore (Singapore)
6. Swansea University (UK)
7. University of Aberdeen (UK)
8. Clarkson University (USA)
9. Humber College (Canada)
10. Queen’s University (Canada)
Everyone is jealous of the IT specialists. It’s common to complain about low salaries compared to the high salaries of IT specialists. Computer technology is the No. 1 area in terms of the expected growth in the number of jobs over the next decades, which makes them the most sought-after specialists for today and tomorrow.
Just remember how our lives looked like a few decades, ten years, five years ago. Computers and smartphones have changed the way we live, conduct business, rest and communicate. And they’ll continue to change. 🤖
As new technologies evolve, programmers, cybersecurity professionals, software developers, and administrators will continue to be in high demand.
Where to study?
1. Aberystwyth University (UK)
2. Aston University (UK)
3. American University (USA)
4. Concordia University (Canada)
5. Northeastern University (USA)
6. Deakin University (Australia)
7. Dublin City University (Ireland)
8. Griffith University (Australia)
9. Häme University of Applied Sciences (Finland)
10. Hamad Bin Khalifa University (Qatar)
Financial and Banking Services
Do you get along well with numbers? Then there are many fields that are worth exploring, understanding and becoming professional in the future. Strange words such as “cryptocurrency” and “blockchain” will become commonplace in business and finance. You can become a modern Medici or Rothschild by trying your luck in the field of financial services, banking sector, accountancy, and blockchain field.
A little bit more about blockchain technology: this phenomenal development allows you to make transactions decentralized, faster and more confidential. This is all a little bit difficult to understand, but many experts believe that blockchain technology will ultimately change the world like the Internet did. That’s why professionals who understand how to develop practical services and products using blockchain technology will gain significance in the future.
And of course, in addition to virtual currencies, the ability to work with assets, intellectual property and banking systems won’t lose relevance.
Where to study?
1. Algoma University (Canada)
2. DePaul University (USA)
3. IUBH University of Applied Sciences (Germany)
4. Jacksonville State University (USA)
5. University of Amsterdam (Netherlands)
6. University of Calgary (Canada)
7. University of Central Lancashire (Cyprus)
8. University of Malta (Malta)
9. University of Padova (Italy)
10. Western Washington University (USA)
Consultants carry out a number of duties, which vary greatly from one industry to another. In short, consultants provide expert advice and analysis, consult organizations and individuals. They are like lifesavers that help businesses in difficult times, develop strategies to prevent problems and increase productivity.
Consultants must have in-depth knowledge of the specific industry in which the organization is engaged. An experienced specialist can often be given the task of devoting time and experience to a project that employees simply don’t have.
In the next decade, the consulting industry is expected to show double-digit growth. Management and healthcare consultants will see employment growth of 24%, making this industry one of the most profitable. So, you can choose this specialization without any fear of being unemployed in the future.
Where to study?
1. Newcastle University (UK)
2. Central Michigan University (USA)
3. Charles Darwin University (Australia)
4. Concordia University of Edmonton (Canada)
5. Dublin Business School (Ireland)
6. Lincoln University (New Zealand)
7. Manchester Metropolitan University (UK)
8. Long Island University (USA)
9. Macquarie University (Australia)
10. Rennes School of Business (France)
Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
At the beginning of the article, we said that industrial development is transforming our world day after day. Inventing tools and technologies are the locomotive of our civilization. That means skilled engineers are needed more than ever.
There are many kinds of engineers. Some of them create such tiny things that they can only be seen under a microscope. Some do things that we use every day, such as mobile phones and laptops. Others build huge technological machines and infrastructure projects – design cars, bridges, planes, and skyscrapers!
However, in our opinion, specialists in the aerospace and mechanical engineering sectors will be the most demanded in the future.
Aerospace engineering is engaged in the development, construction, testing, and operation of vehicles in the Earth’s atmosphere or in outer space. Billions of dollars are invested annually in this industry, and the future of the space technology industry promises to be so interesting that we hope that we all will see the realization of those ideas and missions that are talked about today.
Another field we assume to be in demand is mechanical engineering. It’s a branch of industry engaged in the production of machinery, equipment, devices, etc., including those that are means of production. The majority of bio/nanotechnologies, the production of modern materials, micro/photoelectronics depend on innovations in mechanical engineering.
Engineers must have the skills to turn imaginative products into real innovations. Since the knowledge and needs of humanity grow, the future will be full of new challenges for engineers.
Where to study?
1. American University of Malta (Malta)
2. University of Fraser Valley (Canada)
3. Lipscomb University (USA)
4. Brunel University London (UK)
5. Cardiff University (UK)
6. California Institute of Technology (USA)
7. Leeds Beckett University (UK)
8. Ryerson University (Canada)
9. Twente University (Netherlands)
10. Turku University of Applied Sciences (Finland)
Marketing and Advertisement
Tough competition of companies in the struggle for customers, desire to find new ways to differentiate their products and services let companies actively search for marketing and advertisement specialists.
Marketing never stands still, trends and strategies are changing with high-speed thanks to the advent of new tools and technologies. For example, the appearance of the Internet, social media, various programs and applications in our lives has changed the rules and methods of marketing. And modern marketers need the ability to combine past experience with the ability to use new tools.
Google, Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube have become indispensable platforms for conducting analytics and make product promotions. Since digital devices enable us to constantly access any information, the ability to produce high-quality content that can break through the advertising clutter has become simply necessary.
Where to study?
1. Budapest Metropolitan University (Hungary)
2. Auburn University (USA)
3. Curtin University (Australia)
4. Maynooth University (Ireland)
5. Middlesex University (UAE)
6. Sheffield Hallam University (UK)
7. University of Tasmania (Australia)
8. University of Portsmouth (UK)
9. University of Wollongong in Dubai (UAE)
10. Vancouver Island University (Canada)
According to forecasts of authoritative sources, the world’s population will reach 9.8 billion people by the year 2050. We may have to produce twice as much food as now. But there aren’t simply more land suitable for agriculture. Finding new land, cleaning it and growing more crops – all these have been done over the past 100 years. And having no more land, we’ll have to increase the productivity of what we currently have. And it isn’t easy
Today humanity thinks much more about how to maximize the productivity of the earth, and at the same time lessen harm to the environment. The resources of our planet are limited, and the task is, no more and no less – to feed the whole of humanity.
Thus, so that our common home, planet Earth, continues to delight people, it’s important to develop new methods of farming. We’ll need more professional urban farmers, agronomists, simply because there’s nothing more important than food. 🌾
Where to study?
1. University of Manitoba (Canada)
2. Charles Sturt University (Australia)
3. University of Saskatchewan (Canada)
4. Melbourne Polytechnic (Australia)
5. Nottingham Trent University (UK)
6. The University of Melbourne (Australia)
7. The University of Reading (UK)
8. University of Alberta (Canada)
9. University of New England (Australia)
10. Kwantlen Polytechnic University (Canada)
In today’s increasingly globalizing world, legal issues aren’t confined by laws of one country and often include regional and international treaties and agreements, so it’s important that businessmen, governments and organizations understand how the global legal system works.
Therefore, there’s a significant demand for lawyers who aware of international law and are able to overcome borders. International lawyers help to sort out disputes involving counterparties registered in different states.
As the importance of global business and trade grows, organizations will seek out people who have the education, experience, and skills in international law, aware of tax codes, labor, and environmental laws, as well as ethical standards.
1. Keele University (UK)
2. University of Sydney (Australia)
3. The University of Law (UK)
4. Golden Gate University School of Law (USA)
5. Oporto Global University (Portugal)
6. The University of Waikato (New Zealand)
7. Bangor University (UK)
8. Duquesne University (USA)
9. Lancaster University (UK)
10. Queen’s University Belfast (UK)
Demand and technologies forge the world around us which is going through changes at a high speed affecting the lives of all creatures on our planet. ☄️ Just look around at what humanity has achieved over the past decades. Therefore, new professions are literally born and others die out. It’s very important to choose a profession that will be in demand in the foreseeable future, and will allow you to keep up to date!